Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Assignment #5 Podcast Review

After listening to Dr. Zhaos' podcat, a variety of things ran through my mind. I think that the most important thing that I took out of all of the podcasts was this- "Kids who can not use technology are now being viewed as the new illiterate"- similar to how our generation viewed people who could not read. This has honestly stuck with me. I can not stop thinking about how true that statement is and how realistically I see it everyday. I am so motivated to stay current with technology, and now realize that it is my professional responsibility to help my students learn as much as possible-using technology and being aware of all of the resources that are available to them.

I could really connect to his podcasts. He gave great examples of teachers being scared to try new things (like the art teacher who thought it was her job to teach art and not technology- but after learning more-she realized that even thought they were two different things, she could infuse the two together and make them connect- hence making in more meaningful for students.

He spoke of how kids are motivated by technology and how teachers are scared of it. I could relate to the teachers that stayed after school late, learning as much as possible, but still feeling scared and ignorant.

The community involvement was important in his work. I liked the movie project and how the community got involved. It was inspiring.

3 comments:

  1. I love this!!! You are so right!
    "Kids who can not use technology are now being viewed as the new illiterate"- similar to how our generation viewed people who could not read. This has honestly stuck with me. I can not stop thinking about how true that statement is and how realistically I see it everyday. I am so motivated to stay current with technology, and now realize that it is my professional responsibility to help my students learn as much as possible-using technology and being aware of all of the resources that are available to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathize with that art teacher, but I'm different. Great thoughts Leah, especially the part about teachers being scared. Fear is really the strongest thing holding teachers back from using technology more. Fear of not knowing or not knowing enough, and look how easy is that overcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent Post!

    I think a lot of teachers still view technology as this "extra" thing, where for some of us it is a part of our daily existence in schools, not something "extra." Our kids need to know how to use this and use it properly to function in our society! Great Thoughts!

    ReplyDelete